Happy New Year!
It’s the first working day of the year for me, after a two week vacation mostly to emotionally and mentally recuperate from a very rough year. I’m ready to get going!
After some consideration and pruning, I decided to bring back this sub-blog for the main author site. I kept what was most relevant, and remove a lot of unnecessary waffle. 2021 was not a great year for writing, although I did get two radio interviews, a reprint and three academic articles published. I also published the last two issues of Truancy.
This year, I embark on a new writing adventure — several, actually. Most of that (inc. some waffle) will be over at the newsletter. Here, I’ll post periodic updates.
For right now:
- I’m steadily writing every day. Both academic writing and fiction.
- I didn’t write poetry for the entirety of 2021 until the very last day, when I wrote three poems. On new year’s day, I wrote another one.
- Watermyth-– I have plans to publish it this year, and am now actively revising/disembowelling it on a daily basis. I have already contacted a book/cover designer and there will be readers and an editor.
- Short Story Collection– this has been on hold since 2020, but I’m going to put this together this year. This won’t be self-published, hopefully 🙂
- Short story submissions. They will be happening.
As to how I categorise myself as an author, I’ve always been hybrid; I was independently publishing the Cantata of the Fourfold Realms stories as a hypertext since 1997, and I became a trad publishing short story author by 2007, and a professionally published author finally in 2015. This is how I intend to continue. Publishing some longer works of fiction independently (novels, novellas etc) and trying to get an agent/trad pub contracts for other works. I wouldn’t be a pioneer in this — and that’s a comforting thought. I’m not interested in re-inventing the wheel. I’m interested in living a quiet, happy life with creative output.
Here’s that link for the newsletter — I’ll be posting periodic writing prompts, so if you’re past creative-writing students of mine, you’re welcome to sign up. I’m making it student-friendly aka no extra/inappropriate stuff. These are prompts I’m also giving myself to kickstart my return from a very long writing block so we’ll be writing together on this journey.
ps: My third twitter account in the past two years is now irrevocably deleted as of today. The Truancy account will be irrevocably deleted by 1 February 2022. When I need to promote my indie books I’ll likely create public IG and tiktok accounts. I won’t be returning to a public presence on twitter. I’m all about protecting my energy, preserving my goodwill and my peace of mind, thank you very much.