I keep wondering what to do with this blog, hence the re-arranging, re-curating. I thought an occasional “From The Escritoire” post might be nice. I also thought of doing away with the food posts, but changed my mind. Again. Who am I kidding. I always need to talk about food. I found myself chattering away about food at the poor adik at the petrol station yesterday. As for writing, jury’s still out on whether or not I’ll continue publishing as a fiction author and poet. The good news is that I’ve started writing fiction again — small baby steps. But right now I’m mainly writing just for myself, reclaiming what I love best about being a creative — in all aspects. Wish me luck! Maybe having this series will push me to write more? Who knows.
The more active part of my writing right now is all academic — I have to publish or I’d be out of a job! So, these posts (new series) will be a combination of academic and creative updates, every now and then.
- Finishing touches on two academic articles co-written with PhD students. They need to publish with their supervisors, it’s a condition for getting to viva stage.
- I have a speaking engagement at another university in August. I just received my schedule and new flyers today so I took down the other post — I’ll let you all know more when things are more finalised.
- I’ve signed a contract on a new review for Marvels & Tales. That’ll be out next year. Pinching myself, as always.
- The Fairy Tale Salon Webinar is finally in the uni system so I’ll be processing honorarium claims next week, speakers.
- I’ve been made guest editor for a journal special section for my research cluster. That’s kept me busy this week but it was good for me to get back into the swing of editorial things. I also have some other outstanding academic editor work I need to get through. It’s been a rough year with stockpiling deadlines competing w/ my various non-COVID-related health issues (but definitely exacerbated by this prolonged lockdown which hasn’t been good for mental health either).
- Fiction? Haven’t been able to write much in July because I’ve been swamped with work, life and health but I did write a tiny bit. I’ve given up on Watermyth for now (too much baggage but I very malas to keep thinking about painful past experiences, I want to be positive and mindful for the sake of mental health), but plan to keep updating the hypertext project. Next month. Maybe. For now, wish me luck as I try to see my way out of these dark woods of the fiction author’s soul. I’m regaining a little bit of who I am thanks to all of the gentle support I have been getting behind the scenes. I need to have faith that things will get better.
- Truancy 9 is out! Woohoo!
*I brought my insta back but work-related ppl etc are banned. Sorry. My personal life is important to me and for sanity’s sake, should be protected. It doesn’t mean I don’t like you, okay? If I like you, you probably already know more than you could possibly want to know about that life. But I need my virtual “shed”.